This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Follow us on Twitter @buckeyeplanet and @bp_recruiting, like us on Facebook! Enjoy a post or article, recommend it to others! BP is only as strong as its community, and we only promote by word of mouth, so share away!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Consider registering! Fewer and higher quality ads, no emails you don't want, access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Even if you just want to lurk, there are a lot of good reasons to register!
    Dismiss Notice

Making a Murderer (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion (Work-safe)' started by Smudger, Jan 3, 2016.

  1. RB07OSU

    RB07OSU #7 aka Vick the human joystick Staff Member BP Recruiting Team

    As an also-lawyer, I am more upset about the process than the result. Did Avery kill Teresa Halbach? Maybe. But that is not the standard. And seeing investigators manipulate someone like Brendan Dassey into a "confession"...flat out embarrassing. They could have got him to say that clouds are usually purple and that monkeys should be the supreme race if they really wanted to (see the photo below). He wanted to go home and watch Wrestle Mania. Do I think Avery committed the murder? More likely than not, but that leads to a not-guilty verdict by law. Do I think Dassey in any way assisted? Absolutely not and in any event, less than 50% chance. That would not even get a civil conviction.

    The prosecutor Kratz was a piece of shit that had no real regard for the justice system and somehow went undetected (yes, he got caught for misconduct but not until after this case). Add me to the list that say he seriously violated ethical rules and he should have been booted.

    Regardless of innocence or guilt, this was not a fair trial. That is the point. Oh and by the way, Brendan Dassey just admitted to the below:
     

    Attached Files:

    kinch and Hstead like this.
  2. Bucklion

    Bucklion Throwback Staff Member Former Premier League Champ

    The confession was absolutely ridiculous, and then you had the "defense" lawyer working for the Avery prosecution. Shouldn't there have been separate prosecutors on those cases? I had to laugh at that fat fuck saying he was some kind of "prize" for that "young hot nymph". Karma is a bitch.

    To me the bottom line is he very well may have done it, though the doc made it seem like he was innocent as the fallen snow, but the process was crooked enough that there's no way there should have ever been a conviction. And Dassey should have never even gone to trial.
     
  3. Dryden

    Dryden Sober as Sarkisian Staff Member Tech Admin

    The Dassey interrogation has a lot of similarities to Jessie Misskelleys interrogation in the West Memphis 3 case; lock a periphery acquaintance with an IQ of 70 in a box all day without his parents or a lawyer until you get the confession you want.
     
  4. BayBuck

    BayBuck Buckeyes are best

  5. LostLassie

    LostLassie Am I Allowed To Say That? '17 BPCFFB II Champ

  6. kinch

    kinch Wash me Staff Member

    If the State for someone reason wants to continue with this, and if I were representing the State, I would be more likely to appeal the ruling than jump to retry. The case is nothing without the stuff the Judge shot down in his ruling.

    Given how complete the bitchslap was though, I doubt this goes anywhere further, if for PR reasons only. Then again, prosecutors can be little bitches. Hey, in Texas they fight tooth and nail to keep people exonerated by DNA evidence in jail. Proud kids.
     
    LostLassie likes this.
  7. BayBuck

    BayBuck Buckeyes are best

    Depends whether Andy Colborn can plant some new evidence in time.
     
  8. kinch

    kinch Wash me Staff Member

    That was a non answer (and poor English). So here is my exact answer: 2% chance of retry, 28% chance of appeal, 70% chance of nothing. If they do appeal, it will just be to show some weird version of completing their job. They know they can't win.

    That said, and said numerically, the problem is that this is a shady backwoods shop of incompetence. Predicting what they will do should be very hard. It should, however, be easier given that the recent publicity might drive them to some rationality. I am betting on this.
     
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

Share This Page