1. Ohio State scored 38 points and gained 383 yards against Indiana, which were far below the Buckeyes' averages in points per game (57.0) and yards per game (576.3). Indiana scored 17 points and 281 total yards, which caused the Buckeyes' defensive numbers to take a slight hit as well:
Category OSU Statistic -NCAA Rank- Scoring Offense 53.2 ppg 3rd Scoring Defense 10.8 ppg 2nd Point Differential 42.4 ppg 1st Total Offense 537.6 ypg 5th Total Defense 246.4 ypg 4th Yardage Differential 291.2 ypg 1st Rushing Offense 323.6 ypg 3rd Rushing Defense 97.8 ypg 9th Passing Offense 214.0 ypg 86th Passing Defense 148.6 ypg 5th Pass Efficiency Offense 163.54 10th Pass Efficiency Defense 82.64 2nd 3rd Down Offense .529 5th 3rd Down Defense .289 15th Red Zone Offense .897 38th Red Zone Defense .583 1st Sacks 2.20 / game 60th Sacks Allowed 0.60 / game 2nd Net Punting 46.71 yds 2nd Turnover Margin 1.60 / game 5th Time of Possession 36:00 4th
2. Here's how Ohio State and Wisconsin stack up in the major offensive and defensive categories. The Buckeyes are top 5 in all categories, while the Badgers produce sound numbers on defense but are anemic on offense:
3. H-back Curtis Samuel is the Buckeyes' leading receiver (23 receptions, 345 yards, 3 touchdowns) and second-leading rusher (50 carries, 410 yards, 3 touchdowns). Samuel is averaging 151.0 all-purpose yards per game and 10.3 yards per touch. Samuel already has eleven plays from scrimmage of 20+ yards (5 rushes, 6 receptions).
Team Total Offense NCAA Rank Score Offense NCAA Rank Total Defense NCAA Rank Score Defense NCAA Rank Turnovers NCAA Rank Ohio State 537.6 ypg 5th 53.2 ppg 3rd 246.4 ypg 4th 10.8 ppg 2nd +10 3rd Wisconsin 360.2 ypg 106th 26.0 ppg 88th 291.4 ypg 11th 12.2 ppg 4th 0 56th
4. Running back Mike Weber is the team's leading rusher, with 83 carries for 566 yards (6.8 average) and 4 touchdowns. At his current pace, Weber will rush for over 1,400 yards this season and easily break Ohio State's freshman rushing record (1,237 yards by Maurice Clarett in 2002).
5. In the two games after his breakout performance against Oklahoma (5 receptions, 72 yards, 4 touchdowns), wide receiver Noah Brown has only 3 catches for 31 yards and no touchdowns.
6. Quarterback J.T. Barrett has 1,323 total yards (342 rushing, 981 passing), for an average of 264.6 yards per game. He also has 19 total touchdowns (4 rushing, 15 passing) on the season.
7. Barrett is currently 10th in career passing yards at Ohio State with 4,807. He needs 283 yards to pass Jim Karsatos (5,089 yards) for 9th place. Art Schlichter is Ohio State's career leader with 7,547 passing yards.
8. Barrett is in 5th place in career total yards at Ohio State with 6,769. He needs 120 yards to pass Troy Smith (6,888 yards) for 4th place. Art Schlichter is Ohio State's career leader with 8,850 total yards.
9. Barrett is in 2nd place at Ohio State in career total touchdowns with 86. He needs three touchdowns to pass Braxton Miller (88 TDs).
10. Barrett entered the 2016 season as Ohio State's career leader in completion percentage, at 64.2%. This season, Barrett has completed 79 of 123 passes (64.2%), which is exactly equal to his career average.
11. H-back Dontre Wilson has 2,696 all-purpose yards for his career, which places him 28th at Ohio State. Wilson needs 13 yards to pass Robert Smith for 27th place; 50 yards to pass Joey Galloway for 26th place; 51 yards to pass Cris Carter for 25th place; and 52 yards to pass Devin Smith for 24th place. Ohio State's career leader in all-purpose yards is Archie Griffin with 6,559.
12. Safety Malik Hooker leads FBS with four interceptions this season (tied with five others), and the team is fourth with ten interceptions (tied with three others). Wisconsin has thrown seven interceptions in just 137 pass attempts for an interception rate of 5.1%, which is the fourth-worst in FBS.
13. Despite limited opportunities, punter Cameron Johnston is having an All American season. Johnston has 17 punts for 852 yards, for an average of 50.1 yards per punt. Eleven of Johnston's punts have been inside the 20-yard line, only two punts have been returned for a total of just 18 yards, and two punts resulted in a touchback. When return yards and touchbacks are factored into the equation, Johnston has a net average of 46.7 yards per punt, which is second in FBS.
14. Ohio State has not had a kick-off return for a touchdown since November 27, 2010 (Jordan Hall, 85 yards, vs Michigan); has not had a punt return for a touchdown since November 22, 2014 (Jalin Marshall, 54 yards, vs Indiana); and has not had a punt block for a touchdown since October 5, 2013 (Bradley Roby, 0 yards, vs Northwestern).
15. Ohio State (5-0) enters the contest as the #2 team in the country (both AP and CP), while Wisconsin (4-1) is ranked #8 in the AP and #10 in the CP. Wisconsin has knocked off a couple of teams that began the season highly-ranked (LSU #5 AP; MSU #12 AP) but are currently struggling and unranked. Wisconsin's sole loss was to #4 Michigan by the score of 14-7.
16. This year's game will be played Saturday, October 15th, at Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:00 PM, and the game will be televised on ABC. Ohio State enters the contest as a 10-point favorite with a 70.5% chance to win the game according to ESPN's Football Power Index Matchup Predictor.
Follow us on Twitter @buckeyeplanet and @bp_recruiting, like us on Facebook! Enjoy a post or article, recommend it to others! BP is only as strong as its community, and we only promote by word of mouth, so share away!Dismiss Notice
Consider registering! Fewer and higher quality ads, no emails you don't want, access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Even if you just want to lurk, there are a lot of good reasons to register!Dismiss Notice